Re: automatically restarting dying daemons?

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:43:54PM -0500, Will Trillich wrote:
| On Wed, Jun 30 at 06:25PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 04:34:06PM -0500, Will Trillich wrote:
| > | problem: xinetd, after working just fine and dandy for weeks at
| > | 	a time, gets dozens of "unexpected signal" (source unknown)
| > | 	and gives up the ghost.
| > |
| > | questions:
| > | 	1) what's the best way (e.g. debian way) to monitor active
| > | 	   daemons and restart them when necessary? maybe some
| > | 	   utility already exists for this? or /proc/something?
| > | 	   or `ps ax`?
| >
| > restartd.
|
| hmm. this sounds promising...
|
| 	$ apt-cache search restart | sort
[...]

$ apt-cache policy restartd
restartd:
  Installed: 0.1.a-3
  Candidate: 0.1.a-3
  Version Table:
 *** 0.1.a-3 0
        990 http://http.us.debian.org sarge/main Packages
         80 http://http.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Oh, sorry, it's not in woody.  I tend to forget those sort of things
since I've been using a testing and unstable combination for a long
time.

-D

--
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,