FYI: Mouse cursor problem due to wrong VideoRam value

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 06:34 pm, James Sinnamon wrote:
> Dear Mark and everyone else,
<snip/>
> However ...
>
> Cursor now gets blocked out with ugly black stripes
>
> One problem, which is more than a little irritating, is that a
> pair of two groups of ugly black stripes, which look similar to
> barcodes, and which, together, occupy a rectangle 45 pixels across
> and 60 pixels high blocks out the mouse cursor, whenever it is
> located on an icon or a border region.  The top right corner of
> this region is located right on top of where the mouse cursor
>  would be visible.  This happens for screens of 1280x1024, 800x600,
> but NOT 640x480.  On a 800x600 screen it has the appearance of a
> pair of bar codes.
>
> I was not able to capture these stripes with KSnapshot.  Has anyone
> had this problem?

I had incorrectly entered a VideoRAM value of 33008 (wrongly
calculated in my head : 32 x 1024) instead of 32768 for the
VideoRAM value of the "Device" section for the Matrox G550
Video Driver Card.

When I corrected this the ugly black stripes disappeared.

Apologies for any unnecessary concern.

regards,

James

--