fuuny bug causing powerdown on install

For some reason, when attempting to install debian (sarge) on one of my
k6-2/400 machines, it appears to install mostly, and then suddenly powers
the machine down before completing.

As you can imagine, this makes it somewhat tricky trying to track down the
problem.

It is also not debian specific, as I have tried redhat9, fedora 2 and
mandrake 10.0 and they all show the same problem (in different stages of the
install).

Surprisingly, tom's root boot shows no problem at all in booting, leaving it
all very strange and mysterious.

Any ideas on how to narrow down the problem would be greatly apreciated, as
otherwise I am left using it as a windows only machine.

regards

xyroth
http://www.xyroth-enterprises.co.uk/

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Griggs;Keith;Norman
FN:xyroth
NICKNAME:xyroth
ORG:xyroth enterprises;research
TITLE:nexialist
NOTE;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:chairman of boston astronomers=0D=0Alinux expert=0D=0Abeowulf cluster experi=
menter=0D=0A
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+44 (0) 1205 368236
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+44 (0) 1205 368236
TEL;CELL;VOICE:07941 835158
ADR;WORK:;;179 woad farm road;boston;lincolnshire;pe21 oef;united kingdom
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:179 woad farm road=0D=0Aboston, lincolnshire pe21 oef=0D=0Aunited kingdom
ADR;HOME:;;179 woad farm road;boston;lincolnshire;pe21 oef;united kingdom
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:179 woad farm road=0D=0Aboston, lincolnshire pe21 oef=0D=0Aunited kingdom
X-WAB-GENDER:2
URL:http://www.xyroth-enterprises.co.uk/xyroth.htm
URL:http://www.xyroth-enterprises.co.uk/
BDAY:19691118