Re: Trying to move root partition

Paul Galbraith wrote:

I want to move my root partition to a new drive. I created a new partition and formatted it, and then used cp -a from a knoppix CD to copy the root parition files over to the new parition, and changed fstab to point to the new location. However, when I reboot from the new location, I get this error and a kernel panic, and the system freezes during boot: mout: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device Does anyone know what happened?

In addition to editing /etc/fstab, you probably also need to edit /etc/lilo.conf and then rerun lilo (assuming you're using lilo).

But I may be misunderstanding your question. It might help if you posted your partition scheme, and your pre-change fstab and your post-change fstab.

--
Kent