Re: problems with sound

On Monday, 31 May 2004 at 21:22:49 -0500, dircha wrote:
> Eric Cheney wrote:
> >Hi People. I am trying to get a box up and running and am stuck with
> >sound problems. I compiled a new 2.6.6 kernel kernel.org and the
> >kernel seems OK. The sound card is a sound blaster live and I
> >compiled that into the kernel; along with the mixer and stuff. I'm
> >using ALSA. On boot, the kernel recognizes the sound card. However,
> >when in GNOME I test the usage of the card with XMMS. I get an error
> >message that pops up that says
> >
> >        o   You sound card is configured properly
> >        o   You have the correct output plugin selected
> >        o   No other program is blocking the sound card
> >
> >OK, I checked /dev/dsp and it is there. Also, I'm doing this as root,
> >so I don't think it is a permission problem. I've searched the net
> >via google and the debian mail archive and either I'm missing points
> >people have made, or .... I dunno. I'm stuck.
>
> I've heard good things about alsaconf (in alsa-utils), although I've
> never used it myself. It will attempt to automatically generate a
> configuration for your card.
>
> You'll need to execute it as root.

Thank you.  I gave it a shot.  It says it could not find a pNp pci
device and complained that it couldn't find the snd module.  OK,
that makes sense because I compiled the alsa stuff directly into the
module and my sound blaster live card is embedded in the system
board.  So still no sound.

Thanks for your advice.
--
<Eric Cheney>   cheney@soc.umass.edu        http://sociostat.org/~eric/