Re: Users cannot login anymore via ssh

Lord Raiden wrote:
> I'm relative new to debian having my first big problem today :-(. I'm
> running 3.1 stable.

Uh, there is no such thing as 3.1 stable.  The current stable is 3.0
also known as woody.  The upcoming release is named sarge and does not
yet have a number yet.  So what you said is in conflict with itself.

> Today I rebooted the system and now a normal user-account cannot login
> via ssh2 anymore (sshd[1107]: Failed password for cp from 127.0.0.1 port
> 32773 ssh2). Root can login - Thank God!

This is another one of those, Uh, times.  ssh2 sounds like the
commercial version of ssh and not the OpenSSH version shipped with
Debian.  So that seems strange.

And the next strange thing is the message saying a login from
127.0.0.1 which is the local machine.  If you are on the local machine
then you have already logged into the local machine.  Is that the
exact message from /var/log/auth.log?

> The only thing i worked on was installing mgetty and playing around with
> the serial interfaces on the machine (edited lilo.conf/mgetty.conf)
> Else i just installed apache-ssl and thats about it.
>
> Now I have no clue what i did wrong in this progress that is causing this
> problem im having.
>
> Please help me out on this matter.. dont want to reinstall the box again :)

Your best source of information is the /var/log/syslog and
/var/log/auth.log files.  What are the reasons listed there for the
login to be refused?

Bob