xserver future?

Hi folks,

after not noticing for months, I've finally beocme aware of the major
behind-the-scenes feuding btwn xfree86 & x.org.  From browsing the
debian-x lists, I see that xfree86 will likely no longer be supported
by debian after the current release.

this led me to two questions:

1) is this going to affect debian users much?  That is, will we be
able to effortlessly upgrade to x.org packages in the future and
simply leave xfree86 behind?  Or will this become rather more
complicated?

2) Does this stimulate any interest in or increase the possibility of
acceptance of the various "successor" projects to x -- like Y windows,
and I think I've seen others elsewhere (fresco?) which aim to redesign
the desktop from the gorund up?

This isn't a troll, but I am interested in these questions in party
because I plan to be teaching a bunch of kids to run linux in the
winter, and I'm just wondering whether the x framework as we currently
know it will still be around.

later,

matt

 .''`.       Matt Price