Can't Install on Beta 4 Sarge

I'm having a bizarre problem with a Sarge Beta 4 Installer cd set trying to install to a P4/1Gig Ram/120gigHD/IDE/E1000 Tyan motherboard.

I can get all the way through to choosing a kernel to install (so partitioning and installing the base system works fine) -- but regardless of what I choose (2.6.5, 2.6.3, or 2.4.2X) the installer exits with error-code 1.

I looked in /target/boot, and it was empty, so nothing is being copied over to it.

I'm totally at a loss to explain what's wrong.... the hardware is pretty generic, and I chose the standard partitioning that was offered by the installer -- no dual boots or anything weird -- and had the installer partition and erase/format the hard disks -- so a totally clean install.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm completely befuddled, and I'm supposed to have this box up and running by Tuesday --- HELP! :)

Moe