Re: debian hurd: panic zalloc

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 08:49:41PM -0700, Ron Graves wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been installing the hurd on my box.  I have a 2 gb slice for the root
> and a 1 gb slice for swap.  I have been installing via k5 iso.  After failing
> to 'startx' I 'apt-get install lynx-cur' and begin googling for similar
> trouble.  I subscribed to this list in fact.  Then I tried to use 'pine' but
> no bin.  So, I 'apt-get install pine,' but its not on the cd.  So, I 'man
> mail' to see what mail client is good for the hurd.  Then the box crashes
> giving me "panic: zalloc ipc ports exhausted."  Can anybody shed some light
> on this?  This is the second time a zalloc error has trampled my box under
> the hurd:-(  The first time it happened I was upgrading via dselect with a
> ftp apt/sources.lst.  I then increased my swap size to 1 gb per instructions
> from debian-hurd list.  But I need to not bother the full time developers
> with my silly problems;-).

Still, I'd try my luck on the debian-hurd mailing list. There are not only
full time developers on that list. People just trying out the hurd are
welcomed there as well.

The occassional thread on the hurd does pop up on this list from time to
time, but then usually about things like: 'why is it still not ready?'
or 'will it ever replace linux?'

Good luck,

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!