debian hurd: panic zalloc

Hello,
I have been installing the hurd on my box.  I have a 2 gb slice for the root
and a 1 gb slice for swap.  I have been installing via k5 iso.  After failing
to 'startx' I 'apt-get install lynx-cur' and begin googling for similar
trouble.  I subscribed to this list in fact.  Then I tried to use 'pine' but
no bin.  So, I 'apt-get install pine,' but its not on the cd.  So, I 'man
mail' to see what mail client is good for the hurd.  Then the box crashes
giving me "panic: zalloc ipc ports exhausted."  Can anybody shed some light
on this?  This is the second time a zalloc error has trampled my box under
the hurd:-(  The first time it happened I was upgrading via dselect with a
ftp apt/sources.lst.  I then increased my swap size to 1 gb per instructions
from debian-hurd list.  But I need to not bother the full time developers
with my silly problems;-).
If anybody has any input on this thing I would appreciate the help.
Thanks
Ron