X fails to find my vidio card

I have a Shuttle MN31N mothetboard with integrated sound and video ( Nvidia GeForce 4MX ) which works well on Windows.
I have just ventured into linux.
Knoppix 3.3 live distro worked well so I decided to try Debian Linux.
The Install went well and the base system worked. Installing X windowing system also went well until it tried to find my video card. After 3 attempts at initializing it indicated that it could not find a video card on the system.
Several attempts to setup X have resulted in the same problem.
Since Knoppix is a Debian variation I thought that Debian would find my video card without any trouble.

Can anyone help or do I have to buy a another video card

Maurice Helwig
moritz-news@spin.net.au