Confused on ALSA

Running unstable - with an intel8x0 based card and a logitech webcam
with inbuilt mic.

On startup - alsa sees the webcam - so in alsamixer I get one mixer -
the mic.

If I stop ALSA, drop all the sound modules, load the intel8x0 module
then restart alsa I get the inten8x0 soundcard and sounds works fine.

I seem to have read several things that are a little contradictory.  I
think it's been a long week - right now each page I read is just
making it less clear :-(

So - the basic two questions

1) Can I use the webcam mic and the soundcard for output at the same
   time - if so how?

or if not

2) How do I stop the webcam's mic coming up in ASLA without removing
   the cam itself?

--
Chris