APT problem: postgresql won't install/uninstall/upgrade/reinstall

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to APT and have run into problems.

The latest Test upgrade of Posgresql failed as I didn't prepare
Postgres for it properly: if the package gave a warning of the need to
prepare, I missed it. Mea culpa.

I have tried various approaches to sorting this out, and seem to have
created a real mess. Install fails because it APT thinks I have the
latest version. Uninstall and reinstall fail because the pre-removal
script aborts. At various stages I have tried all the force options in
apt-get and dpkg with no joy. I have also tried bypassing the
pre-removal script (the Postgres data is backed up).

I suspect my best option is to manually strip out Postgres and all the
related APT stuff and start again. I have already had a go at this and
ended up exactly where I began (same errors) so it seems I missed
something.

This is a real killer problem for me: unless I can fix it I'll have to
rebuild my server, which would be a serious pain in the ***. Any help
much appreciated.

Geoff Caplan
Vario Software Ltd
(+44) 121-515 1154