Re: extended character sets

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:17:25AM -0500, Michael Martinell wrote:
> How does one use the extended ascii character sets?
>
> I am referring to the alt + number combinations that I like to use in
> passwords.  For example: alt + 0161 = an upside down exclamation mark.  When
> used in passwords most cracking software does not work since they do not
> check for the extended set even in brute force hacks.

I use the Afrikaans locale (LANG=af_ZA) and I can get ê by typing ^
and e and ö with " and o. To be able to do this, I use the
us-intl.iso01.kmap.gz keymap (sudo install-keymap
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us-intl.iso01.kmap.gz)

In X11 I use the same technique after "setxkbmap us_intl".

In the console I also use the Compose function e.g. typing Cntrl . ss to
get ß and Cntrl . SS to get § of Cntrl . ^a to get â.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and
      him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."
                                      John 6:37