Can't load user dot files in open office (/usr/bin/oowriter)

Hi All

System on unstable here; Gnome; openoffice.org1.1.1;

I can't load dot files in Open Office:

In /usr/bin/oowriter I click 'File' --> Open.

The GUI that's then presented to me let's me access the files in my
~/HOME directory, except the dot files being in there.

I tried the trick that works in abiword to see dot files, i.e. typing
.* <TAB>
to the file name field. But this obviously doesn't work in Open Office
here.

And yes, in the "Open" Dialog window I chose "All Files (*.*)" The drop
down menu there doesn't let me explicitly choose dot files.

And I didn't find any settings, that I'd knew of that could correct
this.

And the most bizarre thing: If I go as a non-priviledged user to the
/root directory I can see (not load) *by default* all dot files in the
OO Dialog.

Permissions (not ownerships) for the dot files are the same in /root and
~/home

What did I miss?

Thanks in anticipation

Best Regards