tweedlegnum and tweedlekdee in sid?

I (foolishly, with the benefit of hindsight {a useful new acronym
WTBOH??} ) dist-upgraded to sid on one box yesterday.  To my horror,
I lost gnumeric (which I love, and have work in progress in).  I
tried to install it (via aptitude) - but found that doing so meant
losing all of the kde applications.  As it happens I use two or three
of them (including kile, which I have just discovered and love), so
that is not acceptable.  The problem seems to be that kde and gnome
use different versions of libcupsys2.  So I can have either one, but
not both.

Is this a long-term issue?  I have noticed postings about gnome being
broken quite often recently, and a recent posting ("dselect - forget
a bad selection?") that may refer to the same problem.  Should I wait
a few days, or adjust my habits to use only applications from one
side of the Tweedledum and Tweedledee battle between gnome and kde? I
currently use icewm, which is why I am relaxed about the outcome of
the battle.

BTW, I have also lost cups completely as a result of this, so I need
to find another way to set up network printing!

Any advice appreciated,

--
richard