Re: [OT Why GB English is different] Re: Mozilla firefox en-gb

On Thu, 27 May 2004 04:57, William Ballard wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:03:35PM +1200, cr wrote:
> > > Eh.  Go figure.  There's no right or wrong.  My teachers taught me that
> > > was incorrect, low-class, common.
> >
> > Well then the whole of the UK must be incorrect, low-class and common.
> > ;)
> >
> > >From where I'm standing, "two hundred thirty-seven" sounds just plain
> > *wrong*.     It's a matter of local (/national) custom.
>
> Do you also say one million and fourteen thousand and two hundred and
> thirty seven?

No we don't.   Our custom is that the 'and' follows the hundreds figure, only.
It's incorrect for an Englishman to say it any other way.   How Americans say
it (or ought to) is their business not mine.

Don't start trying to split hairs about the logic of it, U mite az wel
komplane abowt the inconsistencies of English (/American) speling.     :)

cr