Re: failure to start gnome settings daemon

    William> what's wierd is that when I did an aptitude upgrade today,
    William> dlocate -S gnome-set reported capplets contained
    William> /usr/bin/gnome-settings-daemon, and I had capplets installed,
    William> but the file /usr/bin/gnome-settings-daemon wasn't present.

Don't forget that dlocate works like locate: it report the data that is
collected during the last update of the database, which happens once a day
in a cron job.  So the info you get from dlocate is old: the gnome settings
daemon is really gone, to /usr/lib/control-center.

    William> I undid all of todays changes and will just wait a week or two.
    William> There's a lot of gnome brokenness now in unstable, apparently.

I'm still wondering whether it actually is something to do with the fact
that some of the packages in unstable are still at 2.4.  E.g.,
gnome-games-data, gnome-applets, gnome-applets-data, gnome-common,
gnome-games, gnome-media, gnome-mime-data, gnome-system-monitor,
gnome-utils, etc., all have the version with "2.4" as part of it.  Anyone
can confirm?

Regards,
Isaac.