Re: [OT Why GB English is different] Re: Mozilla firefox en-gb

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 03:05:03PM +1000, Tim Connors wrote:
> As you found out, the way Americans say it was only changed half way
> back to when your "fathers" set up the country, ie., it was you that
> changed the language - everyone else uses the "and" in numbers. *I*
> put it down to Americans being lazy, not us being lazy for pausing a
> sentence - it is simply how we and everyone else who speaks non-
> Americanized language, have always spoken. Along the same lines as why

Eh, sorry, too late for me.  I got it burned into my head in 3rd grade
that "two hundred and thirty-seven" is like "two hundred, um, and
thirty-seven."

But while I expect not everyone had the same teacher as me and thus
didn't get it drilled so hard, Lincoln's poetical usage isn't proof.

What's curious to me is *why* my teacher would have told me that.  You'd
have thought he'd have been an Anglophile.

Prolly something to do with the commies :-)  I didn't even know "In God
We Trust" was added to the money in the 50s, just thought it was always
like that.