Re: Knoppix Install

on Tue, May 25, 2004 at 12:02:01PM -0400, paul@thirdaspect.net (paul@thirdaspect.net) wrote:
> Hi again,
> I have been trying to get debian running on my system for sometime
> (particularly X).  I have a fairly new Toshiba Laptop and I figured
> there would be some issues (but never imagined this).  On a suggestion
> from another user on this list, I tried doing an install from Knoppix
> (note knoppix runs on my system, however, after X loads and I do a
> ctl+alt+f1, I'm left with a fuzzy scrambled screen and can't do
> anything to get rid of it)  I installed it anyway, hoping it would
> resolve itself (wishful thinking) but it didn't.

For starters:  "Koppix install" really isn't your problem, it's Nvidia
video card corruption issues.  An appropriate subject line will help you
get appropriate responses.

If there's any chance of your grabbing a shot of this (digital camera?)
and posting, it might be useful.

Random characters on your screen but in sensible arrangements and
without color associated with them is terminal corruption, and can
usually be reset with one or more of:

   $ clear
   $ reset
   $ top # then hit 'space' a half dozen or so times.

Random visual artifacts on your console generally means your video
card's gotten scrambled.  I've seen this many times, there are two
fixes:

  1. Stop and restart X.  This *may* reinitialize the card sufficiently
     to use console.  This is only sometimes effective though.

  2. Reboot.  The warm or cold boot initialization clears the card.

> Does anyone know what may be causing this?  I recall having similar
> issues trying to install with sid, sarge, and woody.
>
> I really, really want to use Debian, its easier to maintain and
> upgrade.
>
> BTW my laptop is a M35-s320 (Nvidia GForce Fx 5200) with a wierd
> 1280x800 resolution.  I'm not sure which log files to access (because
> X doesn't "crash")

Nvidia smells like trouble there.  You'll want someone to point you to
configs, I'm not familiar with them myself.

Peace.

    You couldn't flame your way out of a bag of oxy- acetylene mix.