Issues with Beta 4 installer and booting to a 3ware RAID array (k ernel hang, not panic)

I installed my system (stable) with the Sarge b4 installer (yes it can
install stable stream), everything went fine.  Hardware, network, wizard
screens, etc all went off without issue.  After the system rebooted, Grub
was setup with 'root (hd0,0)'  and the root param of the kernel was
'root=/dev/hda1'.  What would cause it to be this far off?  So I changed it
to the correct values since the root and /boot filesystem was /dev/sda2.  I
changed to 'hd(0,1) and 'root=/dev/sda1'.  This fixed booting complaints
from Grub.  I left the initrd and kernel settings as they were, they looked
to be correct.  So now the kernel starts to boot...

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
(Kernel hangs here)

I've used Linux for many years, so thought it weird, and reinstalled with
LILO as the boot manager.  With LILO I just passed the 'root=/dev/sda2' to
the boot params.  So the kernel started to boot with LILO...

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
(Kernel hangs here)

So uh, any help here would be greatly appreciated.  I'm going to try the
linux26 install next even though it's more beta.

My system is a Compaq DL320, with a 3Ware Escalade 8006-2LP (3w-xxxx.o)
running a RAID1 array on 2 80GB SATA drives.

Regards,

--
Michael Brancato
Senior Network Engineer

"The first version of Linux was like a time machine. It went back to a
system worse than what [Linus] already had on his desk."
						- Andy Tanenbaum, author of
MINIX.