Re: Beta4 Installer - Multiple Debian Versions?

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 18:51, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
KJ> I've been doing some experimental installs (which, BTW, have worked
KJ> perfectly so far) using the Beta4 installer:
KJ>
KJ>          ../sarge_d-i/i386/beta4/sarge-i386-netinst.iso.
KJ>
KJ>
KJ> The console "login" screen shows the following:
KJ>
KJ>          Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable foobar tty1
KJ>
KJ>          foobar login:
KJ>
KJ> I am confused about the "unstable" part shown above.  I thought that
<IMO>
It is just a generic welcoming message (generic: for testing+unstable
versions). And for sure when Sarge becomes the new Stable Debian release,
"testing/unstable" will be replaced by "Sarge" or "stable" or something of
the kind.
KJ> the installer was creating a 'sarge' system, not a 'sarge'/'sid' one.
KJ> True?
For the moment, Sarge is (but) the "testing" version, until that bright day we
are looking forward to when it will become "stable".

KJ> Which version(s) should I put in "sources.list"?
KJ>
KJ>   o  just 'sarge'
Seems strictly correct.

KJ>   o  both 'sarge' and 'sid'
Correct IMO, if you don't mind (or simply want to!) have some "unstable"
packages on your system...

KJ>   o  other
KJ>
KJ> Thanks for clarifying things,
</IMO>
Non-newbies might want to add something to this.
Cheers,
Sylvain.

--
Config (for wx-users):