Re: recompiling the kernel with APM support

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 07:39 am, Luis Finotti wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I recently upgraded my kernel from 2.4.3 to 2.4.18-k7
> (I'm running a 1.2GHz Athlon) and now my computer
> won't turn off the power with "shutdown -h".  (I did
> the "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-k7" way.)
> The old kernel did turn off the power.
>
> After I little research, it seems that I need to
> recompile the kernel with APM support.  (I tried
> adding "append="apm=on"" to lilo.conf, but it did not
> work.)
>
> Can any one tell me how do I do that, or give me some
> reference?
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any help.
>
> Best to all,
>
> Luis

You can turn off acpi support, either temporarily during a boot or by
editing grub/lilo. On my more recent K7 kerenel, acpi is on by default
and apm is off. ACPI does not work on all bios's, afaikt.

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/10/81_acpi.html

--
Greg Madden