Re: Firefox hangs when URL entered in address bar

Will Maier wrote:
On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:36:29 -0700, "Brian Nelson" <pyro@debian.org>
said:

It could be a DNS problem I suppose.  Attach an strace to the firefox
process and see if it's getting stuck on a system call.

I ran an strace as you suggested; it's the first time I've used strace,
so I'm not sure what I should be looking for. It did appear to hang on a
call. Again, I'm not sure what to look for. I can attach or send an
strace if that'd be helpful -- would you be able to suggest flags or a
method of reading the output that might make it more clear?

I don't think I have a DNS problem -- firefox loads a start page just
fine. When I try to input text into anything (the address bar, google
quick search, options menu, etc) for the first time, it hangs. After
that, it's smooth sailing untill I close the program and start it again.
The behavior is 100% reproducible...

I experienced the exact same behaviour when I had mistakenly firewalled off my "l0" port on my linux i386 machine. I would check that "l0" port is still active and working with "ifconfig -a". Also check if you have any iptables rules that are applied on l0 instead of your eth0/wlan0 connections.

But you said that it is an iBook so I am not sure if powerPC will have the same problem.

--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop