From: Loren M. Lang [mailto:lorenl@alzatex.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 3:37 PM
To: Debian-User Mailing List
Subject: Replicating Debian Systems

I may have to rapidly deploy multiple debian systems that will have
the same software installed and be configured the same way.  The ideal
way to install debian would be to stick a cd into a computer, turn it
on, and come back a couple hours later.  If I could make a custom cd
to do just that and maybe d/l the packages off of the web or another
computer that don't fit on the cd would be nice.

I also have some of my own software to install and also need to modify
files like .profile in the users home dir as well as setup one users
with password on the system.  Maybe I'll have to learn how to make deb
packages.

I don't want the installer to ask questions for each packages like
exim's mail configuration.  I know I can turn it off by modifying a
file and telling them to be silent, but instead I'd just like to have a
text file that specifies the correct answer to all of them.  Does debian
provide a way to do this?

My last problem is that some software is too old in stable, I've had to
upgrade several programs including XFree86 on some systems already
installed.  I know about backports.org, but some programs like gnuplot
don't have a backport, and I'm debating about using testing/unstable,
but I want to believe that the system will be stable since I won't be
down there most of the time and ppl who know nothing about linux will be
using it.
--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C