Knoppix Install

Hi again,
I have been trying to get debian running on my system for sometime (particularly
X).  I have a fairly new Toshiba Laptop and I figured there would be some
issues (but never imagined this).  On a suggestion from another user on this
list, I tried doing an install from Knoppix (note knoppix runs on my system,
however, after X loads and I do a ctl+alt+f1, I'm left with a fuzzy scrambled
screen and can't do anything to get rid of it)  I installed it anyway, hoping
it would resolve itself (wishful thinking) but it didn't.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?  I recall having similar issues
trying to install with sid, sarge, and woody.

I really, really want to use Debian, its easier to maintain and upgrade.

BTW my laptop is a M35-s320 (Nvidia GForce Fx 5200) with a wierd 1280x800
resolution.  I'm not sure which log files to access (because X doesn't "crash"
)

thanx in advance