Re: Magic for OpenOffice (file)

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 08:33:19AM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
} A quick search in Google didn't reveal any solution (only found one
} reference, in Japanese).
}
}  $ file -i file.sxw
}  file.sxw: application/x-zip
}
} It would be really nice if 'file' could give proper the correct type for
} OpenOffice documents. Anyone who has an entry for /etc/magic that make
} sit happen?

This is a deeper problem than just OOorg. There has been dissatisfaction
with file's reporting for compressed/gzipped/bzipped/zipped files for a
good long time, and the idea of having file actually decompress some of
the data to get a more accurate result has come up in the past.

There are, in fact, reasonably good ways to wrap file with a shell
script to get the desired results, but I don't know of an implementation
of the file program that supports examining the contents of a compressed
file. There is no reason it couldn't be done, of course; the file
program in /usr/bin on Debian is GNU's GPL'd file implementation. I
could imagine, however, that depending on lots of compression libraries
might be an obstacle to widespread adoption. One would also have to be
confident of the libraries' licenses. (I *think* all the compression
formats I've mentioned have GPL or LGPL libraries.)

Ultimately, I'd love to see it done, and I encourage you to get
programming.

} /M
--Greg