Re: e-mail from local host

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:56:56PM -0300, Juan Nin wrote:
>From: "Luis Finotti" <finotti@yahoo.com>
>
>>   finotti@math.ucsb.edu
>>     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
>> TO:<finotti@math.ucsb.edu>:
>>     host mailv.math.ucsb.edu [128.111.88.21]: 504
>> <debian>:
>>     Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified
>> hostname
>
>you should have a FQDN hostname (fully-qualified domain name)
>the remote SMTP server rejects you connection, because your machine
>identifies itslef as "debian" which is not an existent hostname
>
>change your hostname so as to have an FQDN hostname (host.domain.tld)

If you don't like the name your ISP gives you, you might even be given a
different name every time you re-connect, you might be interested in the
ez-ipupdate package. It will automate the updating of your IP with
several free DNS services.

Register a nice name with one of these services, install ez-ipupdate,
and then make sure that your FQDN is proper (/etc/hosts is the file to
modify).

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

In my opinion, shareware tends to combine the worst of commercial software
(no sources) with the worst of free software (no finishing touches). I
simply do not believe in the shareware market at all.
     -- Linus Torvalds