Removing gForge --- can I overcome 'permanent corruption of your debconf and package databases'?

Hi Debian Users,

I've recently got into some trouble with the gforge package.  Namely, it
didn't install properly, now I can't remove it.  Specifically, the
packages gforge-shell-ldap and gforge-ldap-openldap can't be
uninstalled, leaving apt in an unusable state.  I have submitted a bug
report for gforge-shell-ldap to which the maintainer hasn't replied,
however, he has replied to a similar bug (relating to the installation
of gforge-ldap-openldap) in which he's referred to my problem as
"permanent corruption of your debconf and package databases".

I'm hoping someone can help me find a hack/work-around for this problem,
or at least give me some idea of how I might be able to work through it
because I'm lost.

Here's the relevant bug reports:

    Bug #241389: Pre-removal script returns error exit status 5
    Bug #237229: gforge-ldap-openldap: LDAP Configuration Failed

I'm running Sid.  If anyone could give me an idea about this that would
be great.  Or even just tell me if I'm going to have to wait for the
package maintainer to fix it.  Or if it's un-fixable.

Thanks,

--
Lucas