kernel compilation error

I'm attempting to compile a new kernel, using the HOWTO located here;

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

I can get everything compiled, and installed according to the docs, with
one exception.

I cannot get the initrd file built/made/etc. Without that file, my
computer refuses to boot using the new kernel

I used these examples to build the deb package;
sudo make-kpkg --append-to-version=.052004 kernel_image
sudo make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=.052004 kernel_image

Thanks for the help

--
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers@MtPalomar.net>
Registered Linux User #96112