Re: XMMS Plays Really Slow

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:03:13 -0700
Jake Johnson <jake@plutoid.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 09:17:31AM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:
> > I've got a computer running a mix of testing/unstable with the
> > latest updates with a weird problem.
> >
> > I upgraded to kernel-image-2.4.25 so I could take advantage of the
> > pre-compiled alsa modules available in alsa-modules-2.4.25. aRts
> > seems to recognize the sound card fine after the modules are loaded
> > - kscd plays an audio cd without any problems. However, when I load
> > xmms and try to play a song, it takes about 10 - 15 seconds for each
> > second of audio that it plays. I switched back to the OSS modules
> > and have the same problem. I then tried upgrading to 2.4.26, but it
> > still does the same thing.
> >
> > I have checked and it's not loading up the memory or cpu, so I can't
> > see what would be causing this. The computer is an AMD 2600 with
> > 512MB of ram. The sound card is built into a Gigabyte motherboard
> > using the Nvidia nforce2 chipset. I am trying both the i810_audio
> > and snd-intel8x0 modules. Occasionally I get this error from the
> > i810_audio module: kernel: i810_audio: drain_dac, dma timeout?
> >
> > Under kernel 2.4.20, before I did the recent updates, this sound
> > card and the i810_audio module worked great together.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this problem before?

> Did XMMS play correctly before you upgraded the Kernel?

Hello Jake,

I had not specifically checked the old kernel with the apt-get upgrade
updates, so I just rebooted and did some more playing.

Sound does still work great, using the 2.4.20 kernel, i810_audio module,
esd & xmms. (Though using esd through artsdsp makes it very choppy.)

In the process I found 2.4.23 seems to give me the same problem as
2.4.25 and 2.4.26; xmms plays, but does it very, very slow. Something
must have been changed with the audio system in the kernel between
2.4.20 and 2.4.23. (Maybe the soundcore module, since both the oss
drivers and the alsa drivers do it.)

Thanks,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #29:
Do you remember when you only had to pay for Windows when *you* were the
one that broke them?