Kernel 2.6.6 would not boot

I am using the 2.6.3 kernel which I compiled myself and it works
well.  Today I compiled the 2.6.6 kernel (I tried it both from the
debian sources and the sources from ftp.kernel.org), installed the
debian package created by make-kpkg.

However not one of the versions of 2.6.6 would load at boot time.
Lilo stops after announcing "Loading Debian-2.6.6" or something
similar and it justs hangs there.

The /usr/src/<version>/.config file is very similar.  The only
differences are the result of different options or new options in
2.6.6.

In /etc/lilo.conf I have:

lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1
bitmap=/usr/share/lilo/contrib/debian.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
install=bmp
prompt
timeout=50
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
image=/vmlinuz
        label="DEB 2.6.6"
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3
        label="DEB 2.6.3"
        read-only

and
$ ls -la /vmlinuz
/vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6

Any idea what is going on here?

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully
      made..."       Psalms 139:14