Re: OT - trivial programming language

richard lyons wrote:
[...]

A lot of languages are suited for this. A really easy language to
learn is
Python. There is also php, java and so on.

php is really for talking to a webserver, which is unnecessary for the kind of things I have in mind. Java... hmmm... I keep seeing mention of Ruby, but have no idea what its strengths are. Perl seems overqualified - even though I have played with it a bit.

PHP may most commonly be used to talk to a webserver, but it
works just fine as a normal scripting languague, if the package
is compiled with the necessary options.

-Roberto Sanchez