Re: [OT] Yahoo's Antispam proposal

Incoming from richard lyons:
> On Friday 21 May 2004 22:50, s. keeling wrote:
> [...]
> > We don't have to have that problem.  We have spamassassin and
> > procmail.  Spam is only a problem for ISPs who have to receive it
> > or reject it, and Windows users who have few to no effective means
> > to protect themselves from it.  Mine is trapped (by procmail +
> > spamassassin) at my ISP's shell account and deleted there unseen.
> [...]
>
> Are you saying you have control over spam filtering at you ISP's
> server?  If so, how did you manage that?

Yes.  I have a shell account on my ISP.  SA is installed there to run
globally on all ISP mail, and procmail scripts in my ISP shell account
deal with whatever SA finds.  I have a ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs in
my shell account which I can augment personally (ok_languages en,
score MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE 5.100), Procmail dumps the SA labeled spam
into a spamfile on the ISP.  I can review the contents of that with
OpenWebmail, and blow it away without DLing it.  Any cruft that
manages to make it past all that and onto my local box is bounced to a
mail address at the ISP which they use periodically to augment SA
training.

I was also able to stop swen in its tracks when it popped up by simply
adding a few recipes to my shell account procmail setup.

> I'm still stuck with filtering it out after downloading it all from
> the POP3 server.

I know that many ISPs won't give out shell accounts these days, but
mine does and I find it invaluable for this kind of fine control.  I
don't really understand how anyone manages without it.  If you've a
personal website there, how do you get your html into it?

Even if you can't get a shell account from your ISP, you might look
into some of the things that let you review the contents of a remote
mailbox prior to downloading.

- -