Re: DVD+RW gone missing on moving to kernel 2.6.6

Received Sat 22 May 2004  7:17pm +1000 from Jonathan Matthews:
> Graham Williams had the gall to say:
> > My "_NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive" that is easily
> > identified under 2.4.25 (as /dev/hdc) goes missing under my 2.6.6
> > kernel. dmesg has no hint at all of the DVD. This is my only IDE
> > device (using a SATA hard drive).
> >
> > Is this a matter of finding the right module? The machine is sid,
> > up-to-date.
>
> Just hit this problem myself.  Here's what I did - let me know if it
> works:
>
> 1) Remove any "hdc=ide-scsi" lines from /etc/lilo.conf (grub? No
> idea...) and then run "lilo" as root.
>
> 2) # modprobe ide-cd
>
> 3) $ cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus
>
> ... and use the x,y,z triple that cdrecord reports, as in
>
> $ cdrecord dev=ATA:x,y,z <other_options>

Thanks for this and other suggestions.  I had to also modprobe
ide-generic, after a bit of trial and error.  All works now (and I've
somewhat documented it at
http://survivor.sarovar.org/Dell_Optiplex.html.)

Regards,
Graham