Re: D-I to SATA (hda) but move to 2.6 kernel (sda) fails

Received Sat 22 May 2004  1:53pm +1000 from David Purton:
> On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 08:59:14AM +1000, Graham Williams wrote:
> > The current beta 4 debian-installer will install to SATA okay, but
> > treats the disk as IDE (/dev/hda). In moving to kernel 2.6.6 from sid
> > this uses SCSI (/dev/sda) and the reboot fails. Is there a migration
> > path one needs to follow?
> >

> Not an answer, but a me too ;)
>
> So when you figure out how to do this, it would be great to post your
> method to the list

I'm installing on a Dell (Optiplex GX270) so I decided to install with
Scott Kveton's Dell Debian Install disk instead (from
http://wiki.osuosl.org/display/LNX/Debian+on+Dell+Servers) which has
the libata compiled in with the 2.4.25 kernel, thus the SATA is
/dev/sda. So the upgrade to kernel 2.6.6 did not present any problem.
I put some rough notes on
http://survivor.sarovar.org/Dell_Optiplex.html.

Haven't had any response regarding migrating from /dev/hda to
/dev/sda for the SATA.

Regards