Re: [OT] Yahoo's Antispam proposal

Katipo said on Sat, May 22, 2004 at 08:43:58AM +0800:
> Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> >Uh, it is open source, and copyleft:
> >
> >http://domainkeys.sourceforge.net/
> >
> >The only reference to possible patent issues is the general "if we have a
> >patent on it, you get a royalty-free license" statement on the DomainKeys
> >page
> >(http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys), which seems to indicate that even
> >if
> >yahoo does have a patent on domainkeys, it doesn't matter, 'cause you can
> >implement it for free anyway.

> I'm agin it.
> I don't care how it's dressed, it is just another form of mechanism that
> we are going to see much more of, that has nothing to do with spam, and
> everything to do with control.

Did you read the spec?  This has very little to do with control.  All that
DomainKeys allow you to do is provide a mechanism so that other mail servers
can verify that you can mail from the domain that you are claiming to be From.
This includes your own domain.

Hell, Domainkeys doesn't even require that the source MTA do the signing; a
properly configured MUA could sign instead, which means that it doesn't
automatically break forwarding setups or roaming users, but it does help verify
that joe@example.com actually belongs to example.com.