I can't modprobe ipsec!

Hello,

I try to connect my laptop to a VPN freeswan gateway. The laptop is
running Debian unstable on x86.

However, when I try to modprobe ipsec on my laptop, here's the message I
get:

/usr/share/doc/freeswan-modules-source# modprobe ipsec
/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.o: init_module: Operation not
permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.o: insmod ipsec failed

What's this!?!
I downloaded the freeswan-modules-sources debian package, and recompiled
my kernel and my modules "the debian way", as I use to do. I never had
any problem with that method before.
Do I need to set anything special before modprobing ipsec? I've read the
doc provided by the debian team with the package, and there's nothing
written about that.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Nicolas.