Re: DHCP slow renewal, actually times out but mysteriously still gets an IP

Stalks wrote:
I have a small network with 6 public IP addresses. The debian server runs a DHCP server. I've tried with the 'apt-get install dhcp' and am now using 'apt-get install dhcp3-server'.

When my XP SP1a machine (PC4800 Deluxe with onboard 3COM Gigabit Ethernet) attempts to get an IP via
DHCP, windows actually times out. *but* it *does* get an IP.

By default, if a DHCP attempt times out, the client will normally
use the last known good address it was given.

-Roberto Sanchez