Re: USB card readers that work?

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 15:52, Walter Tautz wrote:
> I would imagine almost anything would work but I'd like
> a list of models people have used with debian and which
> they may have also used with their digital cameras. My intent
[...]
As far as I can see, anything does work.  I have an Olympus C220,
which happens to be one that is not supported by gphoto etc
(apparently on account of a coding error by Olympus IIRC), but I
simply pop the smart-media cards into any card reader that is around
and read it, write it or whatever (In fact, I also use them for data
transfer from country to country or from computer to computer).

I use the cheapest available reader, a blue blob called "PC-line". I
recollect it cost 7 GBP.  I also use one of the same brand for
SD cards.  The only problem is the need to reboot when switching
between types of media (though I am told the usb can be reset without
rebooting - I forget how and have been too lazy to look it up).

I have never had any problem with the cards being used in the camera
after altering their contents.  You can, for example, put another
directory containing data on the card, photograph onto the card, copy
the data and photos off and wipe the card, leaving or removing the
camera's directories, and it will still be read and written to by the
camera.  I have noticed that the camera cannot read jpg files written
by the gimp, even if the size is the same as it normally writes, but
htis is not something you'd usually need to do.

--
richard