Re: Question re Debian versions

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 04:06:30PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Michael D Schleif <mds@helices.org> writes:
> > * Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> [2004:03:18:20:05:40-0800] scribed:
> >> Your best bet if you don't want to reinstall is watch closely after
> >> sarge goes stable for a new unstable fork off to testing, and move
> >> when they fork.
> >
> > How, exactly, does one go about ``watch closely ... for a new unstable
> > fork off to testing'' ???  I've seen reference to this, but I do not
> > know how one can know when that situation obtains.
>
> After sarge goes stable, a couple months after that a new testing
> branch will fork off of unstable.

Not a couple of months; immediately. Actually, it won't fork off
unstable either; it'll start as a copy of stable and progress smoothly
on from there taking packages from unstable as they're ready, the same
way it did last time.

> >> Sometime before Dec 31, 2003 if people get moving on it was the last I
> >> heard.
> >
> > 2003?
>
> The last time people were trying to put a date on the release said
> Dec 31, 2003.

Only correct if you don't read between the lines on -devel-announce.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2004/03/msg00026.html

It's true that I (quite deliberately) didn't put an explicit date on
that to avoid getting quoted too widely on Slashdot or whatever and
being held to the date, and that the social contract stuff has at best
pushed it back by a month or two; but anyone reading the message should
be able to work out what it meant.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson, Debian Release Assistant             [cjwatson@debian.org]