Update: Dell GX270 Video

For those with a Dell GX270 who are having video issues with X . . . .

The A03 BIOS misreports the amount of video ram given to the integrated Intel 845, which is why you can't get decent resolution/color depth. On the older GX270s you can downgrade the BIOS to A01 which will solve the problem, but the newer batch won't take the downgrade.

After a few weeks of less-than-satisfactory tech support from Dell, this week a Dell rep called me and actually listened, and within the day he had emailed me a pre-release version of the next BIOS rev, which solved my problems on the two machines on which I tested it; one machine that had been downgraded to A01, and one that would not take the downgrade.

I had begun to develop a very bad opinion of Dell, but this rep's actions made a big difference.

Anyway, just wanted to let you Dell GX270 owners know that the solution to your video woes is in Dell's hands, and presumably will be in your hands within a few months. I was told I need to keep the BIOS patch within my org, so I can't share it with you folks, but at least you now know you can get it from Dell if you knock on the right doors.

--
Kent