Re: Samba and network printing

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 09:37:01PM +0200, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> >     cupsaddsmb -U root -a
>
> cupsaddsmb didn't get added until later, I think. At least, the cups
> from Woody doesn't have it. I can't install the updated cups from
> backports.org because I need the Epson drivers from the Gimp.Print
> package, which hasn't been ported yet for the newer Cups (installing
> newer cups uninstall that package because of dependency issues).
>
> Also, it seems cupsaddsmb just go through the same steps that you can do
> manually. I did test run it, and it also fails on the last step that the

I believe that is correct, although it does automate things nicely.

> manual step failed for me.
>
> I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before, but  did check the logs
> after you mentioned it.  I got an error message, saying
> [2004/05/17 13:05:59, 0] smbd/password.c:authorise_login(536)
>   authorise_login: rejected invalid user smb
> [2004/05/17 13:05:59, 0] printing/nt_printing.c:get_correct_cversion(1119)
>   get_correct_cversion: Unable to connect
>
> Now, the smb user is my guest user. I'm not sure why it tries to log in

You may be having your account mapped to you guest user.
IIRC the things that are required are:
	1. User is in the printer admin group
	2. User has a valid smb password/account
	3. User must be able to write to the *nix directory where
	   samba stores the printer driver info.

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.