Choppy sound with ESD

Hi there,

I've just started trying to set sound up on my Sarge box (I didn't need it before) and have run into a problem.

Basically, if I play sounds using mpg123-oss, music plays just fine. If I play music using mpg123-esd with the esound daemon running the sound is extremely choppy. It seems to play for .25 of a second, then nothing for .25 of a second, and so on. I've tried niceing esd and mpg123 to -19, giving both realtime privs using chrt, all to no avail. Any ideas?

I need to use esd because I want to (eventually) play audio over my LAN and NAS seems very primitive in comparison (e.g. no ALSA support). Esd seems to be the best option to me.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

--
Chris Boot