Re: ppp setup problem

David writes:
> If you don't have a dial tone, nothing will dial out, it doesn't matter
> what string you attach to it, you've got a dead line.

We don't know where the OP is located.  Some phone systems produce
non-standard dialtones that are not recognized by some modems.

BTW you do not have to have dialtone to dial.  You just need loop current
and a switch listening at the other end.  The dialtone is just a signal to
the user that the switch is indeed listening.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org