Re: ppp setup problem

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 13:04, Katipo wrote:

> If you don't have a dial tone, nothing will dial out, it doesn't matter
> what string you attach to it, you've got a dead line.
> You have to attend to that variable before you can go any further with
> any sort of analysis.

Not true! The dial tone is only put there as a convenience so users know
that the line is operational. The line can be operational and the
dialtone has not been initiated.

Try

man wvdial.conf | grep -A2 dialtone

and

AT Command Set: Xn Result Code Selection and Call Progress detection.
As I said in my previous post X3 is probably the one. Though the AT
Command Set is not applied in a universal way by modem manufacturers.

Regards,
Iain.