Re: Sarge bootdisk

steef van duin wrote:

Katipo wrote:

john gennard wrote:

Am trying to do a new install of Sarge from a DVD. The new
installer does not appear to allow the creation of a bootdisk
(although the text assumes you can do so).

I don't see why the new installer should vary from dvd to cd, as I checked out both Beta3 and 4, and both had the boot disc option as I recall.

The Ash shell launchable from the installer does not include
'mkboot', so cannot be used.

I already have Knoppix installed on this new disk - if I mount
the partition containing the basic/part installed Sarge, I cannot
create a bootdisk that way, although with a little trying I can
probably put lilo on a floppy and boot that way.

I've always preferred to use bootdisks or lilo on a floppy , as yet
another OS can give me problems if I use the MBR.

How many OSs are you running, that they should give you problems.
I play with them, so I have found it easier to install them on separate drives in mobile racks.
This could possibly be a solution for you, dependent on your situation.

Is there any easy way for me to solve this problem?

John.

Regards,

David.

beta 4 certainly has a boot-disk option, as I recall well. so: what did you do exactly to 'avoid' the option???

steef

steel,
I did nothing to 'avoid' the option, quite simply it was not made available to me. I'm not sure whether the DVD contains beta4 - the write up merely says " taken
the latest Debian DVD build made with the jigdo tool"

At the end of the base install, I was given the options:-
   Use bootloader Grub
   Use bootloader Lilo
   Proceed without a bootloader

Then comes reboot, which I cannot do - if I could, I would go to the
base system configuration tool menu.

John.