IPv6 General Questions

Hi,

I'm curious to know how I might test out IPv6 networking.  I certainly
need another Ipv6 box to talk to, and I might build a little subnet at
home with old 386/486 boxes for cheap to do this.  It might be my only
way.  Does my ISP have to explicitly support IPv6 for me to talk to the
rest of the world in IPv6?  Would their routers peek at the version of
IP packets and chuck them out if they wanted only IPv4 packets, or would
this not happen for Ethernet connections because routing is done on MAC
addresses or somesuch?  (Is that even possible at all?  'Fraid I dunno
much about networking.)

Tunneling IPv6 through IPv4 seems like a possibility, however, the
so-called back routing required might make this not feasible for me
since providers will probably charge a price I can't afford to connect
up to their 6bone thingy.  Also I'd need a static IPv4 address, and my
ISP won't give me one...

Cheers
James