Re: Slowness with 2.6.5: CONFIG_PREEMPT?

Bill Moseley wrote:

> Since moving my Laptop from 2.4.22 to 2.6.5 I've noticed that when daily
> cron runs (I think it's updatedb, but I see "find" in top) the machine
> is almost unusable it's so unresponsive.  With 2.4.22 there was latency,
> but it was still usable, but now I really just have to wait for the cron
> job to finish.
>
> Any suggestions where to look at why this is happening with this new
> kernel?
>
> I just looked at my config and realize I enabled CONFIG_PREEMPT in the
> kernel.  I would expect that to help this situation.  Is that an
> incorrect assumption?

I saw a kernel dev list thread on KernelTrap in which Andrew Morton said
that CONFIG_PREEMPT does not help all the time, and sometimes may even
hurt. Try turning it off and see if performance improves.

FWIW, I noticed something similar when I moved from KDE 3.1.5 on Sarge to
3.2 on Sid - sound skipped much more often than before (which was almost
never). I was already on the 2.6 kernel series before moving to Sid.

Adam