font path issue

Hi!

Since my two last posts were a bit to boring to be read I thought I'd do a
last desperate try from another pint of view.

I have a program that is shipped with some fonts. But, when I add the path to
these fonts at the bottom in the XF86Config-4 fontpath section, Operas menus
disapeare and the login screen in KDE has no text.

Anyone knew what that can be? It seems strange that thees extra paths affect
the rest of the system....

thanx for any help!
Johan
Ps. the system is debian (sid), XWindows 4 and am running KDE 3.1. The program
with the fonts is Mathematica 5.0
sorry for the bad English!